Thursday, September 4, 2008

No Such Thing as Vampires






OK, I am sort of feeling a little nostalgic for my Moonlight and after hearing that again the DVD set may or may not be coming out in the US market. Thank you Mr. Silver for all of your nonsense. That is a fine way to treat all the loyal fans of your show. You led us to believe that you might shop the show and now we find out that you wanted to massacre the original concept of a wonderfully produced nior filmed private eye/romantic hero vampire show and turn it into a 3 ring circus with werewolves, secret watchers and battles in the streets of LA. I am surprised you didn't add circus clowns and trained seals too. Now we know the real reason why CBS cancelled it, and you wouldn't budge on what you planned plus you wanted more money. When I think of that poor cast and all the work that they did, especially our Alex trying to keep the show a float.........well it makes my blood boil. Shame on you. Anyway enough of that. We are going to go through each of the shows and reminisce about each one. Each show had something special and this was one of my favorites for a lot of reasons but especially since it is the first time I saw Alex and fell madly and deeply in lust with him. I remember thinking any guy that looks this good is worth a look and see and boy was I glad I looked and see'd. I haven't stopped since!

Of course there was the interview, I loved the interview! He was so adorable and we got a little glimpse of what was to come. Then there was the first time Beth and Mick saw each other in person. I love to watch Alex's mouth move, I know I am weird but those little things are what I love so much about him. When he says there are no such thing as vampires, I have to stop it and play it over again just to watch the way he forms his words. The calm way he says ouch after Beth conks him in the head with a vase, that was adorable. The way he jumps down the stairs and attacks the professor and says "I know she was here, I can smell her on you." So many great lines. I loved the interaction between Mick and Josef. Josef was threatening to cut a guy's heart out on the phone and the next minute he is affectionately straightening Mick's lapel. So many adorable moments. I have heard a few say that NSTAV was not well done and was sort of amaturish but I disagree. I thought it had a lot of character and charm and I wouldn't have changed a thing. except to make it longer, I was so sad when it was over. Who could forget those red silk pajama bottoms and of course the very end when he wraps those wonderful muscled arms around Beth in such a protective but guarded way. Perfect and touching. Love love love this episode!! *sigh*

2 comments:

Moonlighter said...

Hey Cindy -- just curious where you read about Joel Silver wanting to change the original direction of Moonlight? I am SO disappointed about the delay of the DVD, I'm looking for answers wherever I can find them. I'd love to see what you read and maybe respond or send a comment to JS myself!! Thanks.

Cindy Roland said...

This was common knowledge to anyone who went to the Paley center. They did not know that it was being cancelled but the reaction was not good about the changes to CBS and we would have been disappointed. Beth and Mick would not have been together, Beth would have been with Ben who was going to be a werewolf. It just sounded really weird and sort of Buffy/Angelish.
Trevor confirmed a lot of it at the ECMCon. There was a lot of friction between the WB/JS arena and the CBS powers. Neither side would give in and the show was the victim. CBS did not like the new changes plus JS wanted them to fork over more money. CBS did not own the rights and they were unwilling to invest anymore in the show than they already had. And so it goes. You can find it all on MoonlightForever. Ron Koslow was the reason CBS took it on in the first place and when Ron and Trevor left (got asked to leave) and the new writers stepped in with all the changes I can understand CBS backing off. All very sad and Alex worked his butt off behind the scenes and in front of the camera. WB owns all the rights to the dvd's so CBS does not have anything to do with that. If they did, it would have been released along with the rest of the 2007/08 series. This is WB's doing entirely.
Had JS left it alone and not wanted the extra cash and the new concept with the street fighting and all, we would still have Moonlight.